For the third year in a row, Candriam has been awarded A+ for its overall SRI approach. This, the top score, was awarded following its submission of a compulsory questionnaire that we had to complete as a signatory (since 2006) to the PRI.
The Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) were defined by the Secretary General of the United Nations to help investors integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into their practical decision-making process, consequently enhancing beneficiaries’ long-term returns.
Signatory investors to the Principles for Responsible Investment undertake to:
1. Take ESG factors into account in their investment decision-making processes
2. Take ESG factors into account in their policies and shareholder actions
3. Ask companies in which they invest to publish reports on their ESG practices
4. Secure asset managers’ agreement to apply the PRI
5. Work jointly with other financial sector professionals that commit to compliance with the PRI to enhance their effectiveness
6. Report their activities and the progress made in applying the PRI
A pioneer in SRI, Candriam was also one of the first European asset managers to sign the PRI charter in June 2006, since when a further 1548 financial institutions have signed up.